About the Hanwell Organ
When St Thomas was being built, another St Thomas church (in Portman Square, London) was being closed, so the decision was made to move the organ from one to the other. It is a fine instrument, built in 1897 by the English firm J. W. Walker and Sons, with a good range of sounds extending over 3 manuals and pedals. Dedicated in our church in 1934 by the organist of Liverpool Cathedral Harry Goss Custard, the organ gave good service for 75 years before becoming too unreliable to meet even our most basic needs. Restoring the Walker pipework, repairing or replacing the electric system and refurbishing the keyboards will cost an eye-watering £150,000. We have started raising the sum, and in the meantime a digital instrument is keeping us going, but it will be a few years before the glorious sounds of our Walker organ once again fill the building.